Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System
Director of Engineering
Location: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Unclassified/Exempt Employee position
The Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System has an immediate opening for a Director of Engineering on the island of St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. The successful candidate will be responsible for formulating and maintaining capital budgets, overseeing the Engineering Department and the overall technical and engineering functions of the System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design, upgrade, and plan for all technical aspects of VIPBS.
• Manage the day-to-day operations of Master Control, Transmitter Site, and Engineering Department, at the Mountain Top office aka MOT.
• Work with engineering consultants on FCC guidelines.
• Make recommendations to the CEO on new policies and procedures to implement.
• Establish procedures and standards for the operation and maintenance of transmitter and station equipment.
• Manage the operation and maintain activities in television & radio broadcasting, or the satellite uplink transmitter.
• Train staff in diagnosing causes of transmitter malfunctions with the use of various test equipment to return transmitter to operational status.
• Establish procedures for testing transmitter equipment.
• Perform preventative maintenance activities on operation equipment during testing for the Emergency Broadcasting System.
• Develop plans and prepare schematic drawings designed to modify and improve existing transmitter equipment.
• Direct and coordinate equipment modification activities to prevent interruptions in transmitting operations.
• Prepare work, repair and maintenance schedules for all technicians, transmitter operators and engineers.
• Submit written reports on the current functions of MOT areas.
• Direct and coordinate television & radio station activities concerned with acquisitions, installations, and maintenance, or with the modification of studio and broadcasting equipment.
• Evaluate the station’s needs for new broadcasting equipment and recommend such needs to the CEO.
• Direct activities concerned with layout, codes, and safety regulations relative to all engineering operations.
• Establish procedures for operation and maintenance of studio, remote control, and microwave transmission equipment.
• Inspect and direct testing and maintenance of studio and remote broadcasting equipment to ensure operational performance meet the System’s standards and the rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commission.
• Develop grants and proposals for technical implementation.
• Formulate and prepare engineering training courses for all technical personnel.
• Stay updated and informed about current industry trends and standards.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcast Engineering or similar degree, plus 5-8 years of technical service in the TV Broadcasting Industry.
• In lieu of a degree, 10 years of technical service in the TV Broadcasting Industry; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job.
• Strong background in broadcast equipment maintenance.
• Certified Broadcast Engineer (CBE) or have completed more than 50% of the accreditation requirement towards obtaining a CBE certification.
• Member of the Society of Broadcast Engineers.
• Exceptional computer & networking literacy.
• Excellent organizational and managerial skills.
• Minimum of five (5) years management experience.
· Ability to work flexible hours.
· Ability to be on-call (as needed) to address emergencies for the System.
· Ability to drive vans, trucks and cars and must have a valid USVI Driver’s License.
· Ability to climb and repair systems on buildings.
· Good working knowledge of three phase electrical systems.
Interested applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) current professional letters of recommendation to:
Interim HR Director
Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System
P.O. Box 7879
St. Thomas, VI 00801
ProductionBeast | Film and TV Production Jobs
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System is an Equal Opportunity Employer