The Assistant Director (AD) is the director's right hand person responsible for a number of important practicalities.
- Script break down into a shot by shot storyboard, prepare character breakdowns and story synopses.
- Prepare shoot order and estimated running times.
- Prepare and check shooting schedule to ensure that all the required scenes are planned and shot to adequately cover all required angles.
- Ensure that every aspect of the shoot keeps to this schedule.
- Assist the director, coordinating all production activity, and supervising the cast and crew.
- Oversee the hiring of locations, props and equipment, and checking weather reports.
- Ensure that everyone is on standby and ready for the director's cue for action.
- Make announcements and give directions to coordinate the cast and crew.
- Maintain control discipline on the set.
- Oversee the preparation of the daily 'call sheet'.
- Health and safety on set or location.