The Public Theater seeks an Associate Director of Production (Production Management) to join our dedicated, fast-paced Production Department in support of the full range of production activity at The Public. As the Associate Director, you will work with the Production Executive to develop and maintain working practices and organizational systems for the Production Management team. The Associate Director of Production (PM) reports to the Production Executive, oversees the Production Management team of seven PMs/APMs, and works closely with the Associate Director of Production (Technical) and the six technical departments.
• Develop and maintain working practices and systems for PM team
• Work with Production Executive and Associate Director of Production (Technical) to refine PM roles and accountabilities and define and support relationship to production department heads
• In coordination with the Production Executive and Associate Director of Production (Technical), manage departmental resources, conduct ongoing budget analysis and future budget planning
• Manage project assignments, bandwidth, and staffing needs for PM team
• Oversee the recruitment process and pipeline development for PM team, including a focus on increasing equity and diversity across the PM team
• Manage hiring practices, pay scale, and oversight for PM overhire
• Review and improve stage management recruiting, hiring, oversight, support, communication, feedback, and pipeline development, including a focus on increasing equity and diversity among stage managers at The Public
• Give PM team performance feedback, manage staff development goals and advancement within PM team
• Oversee the week-to-week project management by the PM teams on mainstage productions, readings and developments, and artistic programs
• Hiring stage managers for readings and developments
• Broad knowledge of theatrical production disciplines, technologies, and processes
• At least 3 years of Production Management and/or Stage Management experience
• Understanding of The Public Theater’s mission, strategies, and programming, including a commitment to cultural transformation and antiracism in the work and workplace
• Ability to manage a team, align priorities, build consistent practices while fostering individual strengths, and promote collaborative and positive working relationships among team members
• Ability to respond to changing circumstances quickly and with a positive attitude
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with competing and sometimes unpredictable schedules
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Evening and weekend hours are occasionally required.
• At least 5 years of experience in a supervisory role at a professional theatre with experience managing and supervising staff
This position is full-time salaried, exempt and benefit eligible. The standard schedule is 40 hours per week, may increase due to project load.
COVID-19 and Vaccination Policy:
• As a condition of employment, The Public will require all who report to work on site (either at The Public Theater or any other workspace or performing location) to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
• The Public Theater Production Department is currently engaged in a combination of remote and in-person work. This position will begin work remotely but is expected to begin working in person during the 2021-2022 season.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is an Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Position is available immediately.