Story Syndicate is seeking a legal coordinator/rights and clearances manager to provide support to the Legal and Business Affairs division with respect to legal and clearance-related matters for multiple ongoing film and television projects in varying stages of development and production. As the second member of the Legal and Business Affairs team, this is an opportunity for the right candidate to help shape the department and establish processes in collaboration with other internal divisions, as well as network and other partners of Story Syndicate.
- Act as the liaison between Legal and Business Affairs, production management and post- production divisions, and project-specific teams to help manage workflow and ensure the successful and timely tracking and completion of third-party licensing and other legal deliverables on multiple ongoing productions.
- Review and redline third party archival and music agreements with applicable rightsholders, stock vendors, and other licensors for multiple documentary and unscripted productions under the supervision of the Head of Business and Legal Affairs.
- Review and negotiate standard appearance releases, location releases, materials releases, equipment/vendor agreements, and related contracts under the supervision of the Head of Legal and BA. Liaise with Legal and Business Affairs and the network, as applicable, with respect to approval and tracking of any rights restrictions/obligations.
- Review and revise crew agreements where required under the supervision of the Head of Legal and BA.
- Order and track title and copyright clearance reports and letters on an as-needed basis.
- Track and help review contractual obligations relating to credit, promotion, and other
rights restrictions in clearance and other logs for delivery to network/distributor clients.
- Assist with various administrative duties, including filing, tracking of legal documents
and invoices, production guidelines, and other department documents, and handling other ad hoc administrative tasks.
- 2 to 4 years of legal clearance/paralegal experience supporting film and television productions in areas relating to production legal, intellectual property, personal rights, and fair use issues.
- Experience managing fast-paced clearance activities with production personnel, clearance firms and licensors of production materials; and organizing a high-volume of license agreements, releases, and other clearance documents.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills that allow you to collaborate with multiple stakeholders having diverse viewpoints and interests.