HEAD OF PRODUCTION - WASHINGTON, DC
Will oversee and manage all live and pre-recorded studio broadcast programs, including
budgets, shooting schedules, and managing the day-to-day business side of a production news content. This person should have strong leadership skills and a process-efficiency focus, being able to lead a cross‐functional team, manage effective communication externally and internally, report against results, and maintain strong, long‐term relationships.
The Head of Production will be reporting to the Director of Production (UK) and working closely with Head of Technology (US), and Director of News, (US).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for planning and executing a production workflow, expected to produce 10-11 hours of coverage per day, feeding into London transmission hub.
• Working closely with colleagues in technology and newsgathering to formulate the MCR, Ingest and PCR operation.
• Working with systems integrators and Sony ELC experts to build and operate a successful automated gallery
• Develop and deploy a training program for journalists to learn how to code rundowns and scripts.
• Recruitment and training of operational roles to run the PCR.
• Working closely with the London operation to keep the synergy of on-air look between sites
• Making the most of the broadcast facilities and studio set to achieve a striking on-air presence, which will involve short summaries and longer news and debate programs deployments of similar set-ups.
• Responsibilities include line management of the operational staff.
• Interviewing and recruiting staff, liaising with London HR on staff matters.
• Managing a team of operators for the control rooms and studio floor.
• Travel could be necessary, minimal.
• Will be required to work closely alongside other senior managers in the DC office and in London, and to develop a robust workflow built around the technology that has been installed in this brand-new facility.
• The role will involve problem solving, creativity and imagination, and an ability to share others’ visions and put them into action.
• An understanding of the technology, particularly relating to Sony ELC Automation is essential in the role. Documenting of practices and user-knowledge will also be required.
• Leadership and motivation skills are required; working closely within a tight-knit team
• Must have experience as a studio director at a news network
• Understanding of news and current affairs and an eye for detail
• Must have an understanding of news and current affairs and an eye for detail
• Possess a technical ability within a broadcast environment
• Maintain a full understanding of all roles of the studio crew
• Ability to think logically and progressively
• Ability to appreciate/spot aesthetic detail
• Can recognize and meet strict deadlines
• Quick to react to situations or respond to questions/commands
• A demonstrable understanding of video formats, playback workflow, servers and broadcast production
• Fluent English speaker and able to communicate effectively both verbally and written.
• Have an understanding of Broadcast production workflow and technical standards
• Possess a sound knowledge of the broadcast formats and server systems
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Able to work in a stressful and fast paced News environment
• Able to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Able to work in a 24/7 shift base environment; primary shift will be between 2pm-1amEST
• Must be organized and punctual
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in a technical capacity or film, directing media production
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience working within a similar role on live broadcast programming
Diversity Inclusion & Customer Service Statement
TeamPeople is an organization dedicated to providing superior customer service. Outstanding customer service encompasses everything from performing the technical, creative and operational aspects of our jobs to the best of our ability, to going the extra mile to assist our customers and colleagues in any way.
We respect, value and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to collectively and more effectively address the issues that face our customers. It is our aim, therefore, that our partners, strategies and investments reflect these core values. TeamPeople is dedicated to providing superior customer service and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.